Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Recent Abominations

Detail 1 of cover Illustration for Thomas Ligotti's "Grimscribe: His Lives and Works" published by Subterranean Press, 2011

Here's a detail shot of a recent cover illustration for a new revised and definitive edition of Thomas Ligotti's Grimscribe published by Subterranean Press. The whole image can be found here. I was also recently published in a book titled "THE THACKERY T. LAMBSHEAD CABINET OF CURIOSITIES" published by Harper Collins this month with original work by, among many talented others,  Alan Moore, Mike Mignola, JK Potter and one of my all time favorite animators, Jan Svankmajer, saying it's an honor to be in that book isn't enough. I walked into a Barns and Noble a few days ago and found the book on the shelf, there's something bittersweet though about finally being able to find your work in bookstores while Borders is going completely out of business. I've finally scratched bitten and clawed my way into the world of published books only to be confronted by the complete and utter collapse of physical bookstores. I might be involved in some really amazing projects that I'd love to talk about right now but I should wait until they're official before saying anything. I can say though that I'm actively pursuing fully illustrating my first book. And I regret not posting here more often but Monster Brains has consumed so much of my blog time.

Also if you watch television keep your eyes peeled for the Monster Fish show on National Geographic Television, Natgeo, the episode Catfish King features my artwork around the halfway mark through the episode. Yes, EBD has broken into mainstream American television, if only briefly, ha.

I'm a huge fan of all of you and I'm proud to be part of this collective, keep up the amazing work, everyone.

Here's a recent picture of me next to some.. decorations.
aeronalfrey


6 comments:

Marcel Ruijters said...

Absolutely fantastic work, Aeron!!

MD Encolpius said...

good work!

trieffiewiles said...

Its remarkable how flawless the editing in your collages are.

crippaXXXalmqvist said...

yes, you ARE really good in that very certain way you work, takin' images here'n'there to create something absolutely new..'n often very evil looking!
i dig!(..your grave!)

Marcel Ruijters said...

Aerons collages are more akin to paintings than what usually is done this way. Most Photoshoppery does not lose that obvious collage-like feel.
Don't get me wrong, I like crazed artists like Fredox very much, but he does not put the mystery into his work that is in Aeron's.

Aeron said...

thanks, yeah it's a weird thing trying to describe this process to anyone, I guess it could be called micro or macro collage, as I do it on a damn near sub atomic level!