Thursday, February 12, 2009

Darwin Day, You Goddamn Monkeys!

Okay, since today's Darwin's birthday I thought I'd translate this poem into english (with a little help from Carol R.), something I wanted to do for ages. It was written by Wilhelm Busch, the father of violent cartoons and creator of Max & Moritz, to whose demise this very blog owes its name. Busch was a freethinker and wrote in his autobiography that the writings of Darwin, next to the philosophy of Schopenhauer were what influenced his worldview the most.

8 comments:

Paleo said...

Oh, what a noble piece of cartooning, translation, lettering, history & photoshopping this is.

Most important, they get drunk like blind pigs and crawl it, yeah!

Honores to the Señores Busch & Frauenwahl.

Human Mollusk said...

Thanks, man! I'll give the message to ol' Bill.

Jeffrey Meyer said...

Coincidentally I was just reading a book from the library by George Dyson called "Darwin Among the Machines"... fascinating stuff.

Human Mollusk said...

Sounds like an interesting read Jeffrey, I'll check it out.

Aeron said...

Interesting quote, you might be interested in some of my stepmother's papers.. http://mypage.iu.edu/~ealloyd/

Human Mollusk said...

Wow, I actually came across her orgasm book a while ago - I had no idea she was your stepmother. Fascinating stuff!

Gaspard Pitiot said...

A pun about Darwin here : http://enclumedesjours.wordpress.com/

Aeron said...

Ha, small world.