Thursday, December 07, 2006

Labyrinth Beast Concept






















I had this weird idea about a giant animal that exists as a large chunk of landscape, kind of a mountainous version of a starfish but with thousands of root like limbs that it injects into the ground to absorb underground lifeforms for nutrience. Its back would be mostly flat but with an intricate pattern of sickly sweet smelling liquid which would ooze out of its pores. There would be a tribe of unusual creatures that resemble walls with small sharp finger appendages to move around which would be attracted by the smell of this liquid. As they reach the backside of this giant beast they would attach their thin anatomies along the line of the oozing liquid to consume it. With these wall like animals all connected to the oozing patterns this would create a labyrinth on the back of the giant animal. Other creatures would be attracted by the sickly sweet smell and come into the labyrinth in search of food. These creatures would usually become lost in the maze and die of starvation, their remains being absorbed into the thick skin layer of the giant animal and serve as the rotten liquid that would ooze back out in the patterns that the wall creatures are attracted to. I'm going to work this idea into my Hob Bob comic somehow.

7 comments:

Noah Berlatsky said...

That's completely preposterous. It reminds me a little of the intricate nonsensical ecology I liked in the Xanth books when I was reading them years and years ago.....

Human Mollusk said...

I think it's an awesome idea Aeron, like something from "Planète Sauvage".

Paleo said...

Sounds EXACTLY like Villa Oculta, here in South Buenos Aires.

zeke said...

I'm well impressed! really great idea Aaron, wish I'd thought of it myself! look forward to seeing how it turns out...

Luke P. said...

Yeah, thats fucking awesome. The way your narratives could work out in a video game is really appealing.

Aeron said...

Never heard of the Xanth books, I'll have to check that out, I'm a great fan of bizarre nature. Thanks Fufu, Fantastic Planet is one of my favorite films. David, I need to see this place. Zeke, it will probably become some life threatening event to Hob the decapitated magician across 3 - 5 comic pages. Luke, I'd love to design a videogame.

Thanks everyone

Jon Chandler said...

Please do put these ideas into a comic, that would be quite a lovely thing to see.