Sunday, December 10, 2006

Molluskhead

Been working on a short comic lately as well as a proper design for my website, both of which arent't done quite yet.
However, just for fun I did a digital painting of Molluskhead yesterday, the second main character of my ongoing series of short stories Ray Murphy - Detective of Dreams. As some of you may know Ray Murphy's "cases" are actually dream adaptations, a fact he is not at all aware of. Murphy - the dream self - is a staunch realist and constantly trying to find out why his universe is so fucked. His mute assistant Molluskhead on the other hand kind of represents the all-knowing unconscious that discloses nothing and often helps Murphy without him noticing it.



Two complete Molluskhead strips can be viewed here and here.

8 comments:

Noah Berlatsky said...

I quite like these. The bizarre dream-pulp-noir thing works nicely, and I like the continuous scroll format too. And the drawing is great.

Aeron said...

I'm a great fan of your Molluskhead stories, are you going to compile these into a single volume someday?

Paleo said...

I've never seen digital painting that is so.. tactile, gorgeous stuff all around.

Human Mollusk said...

Thanks alot, guys.
Aeron, in fact I am planning to do a collected book of Ray Murphy and Molluskhead stories. I'll have to rearrange some pages because the formats are not always the same though, and I will also add some new stuff that helps to connect the episodes and wraps up the story. We shall see...

Luke P. said...

Let me add my voice to the chorus; this is awesome! It really looks like an expert watercolor or goauche painting.
Did you begin with pencils or anything?

Human Mollusk said...

Thank you Luke. No, I just started doodling in Photoshop.

Luke P. said...

you must use a wacom though, right?

Human Mollusk said...

Yeah of course. To paint in PS, I think it's really important to become familliar with what you can do with the brush settings.